Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Shot, The Pour and The Art

So I don't know how many of you are into coffee beyond Nescafe Blend 45 and Starbucks, but if you consider  either of those options real coffee, then we're probably not on the same wavelength.

That said, I wanted to post a bit about making latte art. As someone just starting to get into this, as a beginner it takes some serious practice. For starters, unless you have a decent shot of espresso (meaning your grind and tamp need to be pretty spot on) with a good layer of crema, it won't happen. Next you need to get the milk textured to the right consistency, meaning getting a good 'microfoam'.

From there, you have the basis to make those pretty pictures in your coffee that almost make you feel guilty when you take that first sip...but somehow you keep going until you're staring at the Andy Warhol version of your art at the bottom of your cup.

A mate from work (thanks Brad) sent me this link: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/04/latte-art-foam-designs-rosetta-on-your-coffee-like-a-barista-technique.html which provides a great step-by-step on making rosettas, but gives you some foundation tips on any other designs too.

I'm just starting to practice this myself, so I'll be posting up my attempts here, available for ridicule until I start getting it right :)

Cheers,

Brandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment