Friday 11 May 2012

The Baron II: Redemption

So the other afternoon I was in the area and decided to give The Baron another go. First of all there are a couple of things that I noticed which were consistent:


  1. The staff are still all very friendly; so it wasn't just the one guy serving me last time
  2. Everyone working there really does their best to look cool.
And it works; before you even order your coffee, looking around the place which is reminiscent of some sort of garage-based bootleg bar, you find yourself thinking "this place is kind of cool".

Here's an example, I took a quick snap with the phone, trying to look casual so no one would think I was a weirdo...which may or may not be entirely accurate:

Click to Enlarge

[Brief Segue Alert]: I actually don't mind the quality of pics I get from my phone, particularly if you saw how quickly I whipped the thing up, snapped, and put it back in my pocket. I use a HTC Desire phone running Android which IMHO whips all kinds of shit over the iphone - with the one glaring exception of internal storage.

[Back to Coffee]: So after observing the consistencies in service and atmosphere (good indicators on whether it's a takeaway coffee joint, or a sit in coffee joint) I sat down and ordered a double-shot (learned my lesson last time) decaf latte with a side of metrosexual hand cream.

The hand cream never turned up, but what I got was this:


So far it was looking good; a humble, yet elegant rosetta, great milk consistency and the aroma coming off it was mouth-watering. At the first sip I start mentally composing my review for Beanhunter, they had definitely gone up several knotches on the coffee respect-o-meter.

By the second sip the natural caramel flavours of the coffee really came through, it was bloody excellent. It reminds me of another place that also does fantastic coffee (seems a bit inconsistent, blame the barista) called 'Girdler's Grind', in fact based on the flavour I could almost swear it was the same blend.

Either way, it looks like once you know what to order at The Baron, you can get a fantastic cup o' joe in a cool, friendly cafe.

If you're ever over at Castle Towers and need a caffeine fix, sound them out, the prospects are good!

Brandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment